First off, Happy Mother’s Day to all of you mommas out there! I had a great time whipping up a nice meal for mine and we started out with an artichoke bruschetta while we opened cards and gifts, which I’ll write about over the next few days. We grilled some steaks and sweet potatoes for our main meal and I wanted something light and fresh as another side. Fortunately, this salad met those expectations! I loved that the kale and sprouts were shaved- it was a nice change from the usual larger-leafed salad. The toasted almonds and Dijon/lemon dressing gave it a light feel, perfect for spring and summer. I can’t wait for the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
Shredded Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
For the dressing:
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar (I used honey)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the salad:
- 4 cups finely shredded Lacinato kale (loosely packed)
- 4 cups finely shredded Brussels sprouts (loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
*To shred the kale, pile each piece and roll the leaves before finely slicing them. To shred the sprouts, cut off the stem and remove the outer leaves. Slice each sprout in half, then finely slice each piece from the base to the tip.
What to do:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the shallots, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest and honey.
- Stream in the olive oil while whisking continuously until well combined.
- Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste. (You can add more lemon juice or agave nectar to adjust the acidity or sweetness to your personal taste.)
- In a large bowl, toss together the shredded kale, shredded Brussels sprouts and toasted almonds. Add as much dressing as desired, tossing to combine, then add the cheese and toss. Serve immediately.