Spring weather has sprung (temporarily, I’m sure) here in Chicagoland and it was time to brush the dust off of the grill. I knew I wouldn’t have time to make dinner, as we had to look at a venue for the wedding that afternoon. So, I pulled some shrimp out of the freezer, whipped up the pesto sauce, skewered the shrimp, and marinated them all day while we were gone. Once we got home, all we had to do was throw them on the grill and steam some broccoli and rice. It was quick, easy, and oh so delicious! What is your favorite way to dress up shrimp? Let me know, as it’s a very popular protein for the summertime in this house!
Pesto Grilled Shrimp
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup basil, packed
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (for 5-10 min. at 375)
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (~1/4 lemon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
What to do:
- Pulse the basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Skewer and marinate the shrimp in the pesto for at least 20 minutes, up to overnight, in the fridge (I marinated for about 7 hours).
- Grill over medium-high heat until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.