Portillos’ chopped salad has been a favorite for a while. The combination of everything, along with their house dressing, is just perfect. It’s a hearty salad with the noodles, chicken, and bacon, which is a plus- it keeps you full more than a wimpy garden salad does! I came across this “dupe” for the infamous salad and decided to make it for lunch today- it was a hit! I’m looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow! The salad was really flavorful- the combination of the oregano with the balsamic was perfect. It might be a new favorite- I especially loved how easy it was to make!
Portillos Chopped Salad
What you’ll need:
- 4 cups cooked Ditalini pasta
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 2-1/2 cups chopped red cabbage
- 2 fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
What to do:
- Cook Ditalini pasta according to package instructions. Make sure you salt the pasta water while cooking to give it some flavor. Drain and cool. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a skillet until done. Let bacon cool, then crumble it.
- Combine romaine, iceberg, red cabbage, tomatoes and green onions in large salad bowl.
- Add cooled pasta, bacon and gorgonzola cheese to salad.
- Add dressing to taste right before serving so that it doesn’t get soggy.
- For the Dressing: Place vinegar, garlic, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper in a blender. While the machine is running, slowly drizzle olive oil through the blender top or feed tube until dressing is combined and emulsified. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to two weeks.