Pasta, pasta, pasta. I just can’t get enough, unfortunately. Now.. this was delicious. The fresh basil and mozzarella was the perfect touch to the store-bought fire-roasted pasta sauce (*shock*). It was hit with the family- I’ll be making this again 🙂
Grilled Chicken Caprese Pasta
What you’ll need:
- 2 medium chicken breast halves, grilled and diced into thin strips (about a pound)
- 9 oz Rigatoni or Penne pasta
- 2 cups fire roasted tomato pasta sauce (I used Classico)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup finely grated Romano Cheese
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- red pepper flakes, to taste (optional, for added heat)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, diced into halves
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella, grated (if it’s too mushy, stick it in the freezer for a few minutes)
- 16 fresh basil leaves, chopped chiffonade style (mine were fairly small)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook pasta to al dente according to directions listed on package. While pasta is boiling, in a separate medium saucepan over medium low heat, heat tomato pasta sauce, heavy cream, Romano cheese, garlic, optional red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese melts.
- Drain cooked pasta well, return pasta to pot. Add in grilled diced chicken, grape tomatoes, half of the mozzarella and half of the basil ribbons, then pour warm sauce over mixture. Toss to evenly coat. Pour mixture into a greased casserole or baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and cook pasta uncovered for about 20 – 25 minutes until cheese is golden. Serve warm sprinkled with remaining fresh basil.
Look at that cheesy goodness 😉 Enjoy!