Since I’m currently living with my family (hooray for saving money..) I have to attempt to cook to their liking. My dad eats almost anything, however, he always makes a comment when I make a dish without any meat.. you’d think it was the end of the world if he went without a dinner without any. I’m a believer that you shouldn’t eat meat with every single meal and when I found this recipe, I knew he couldn’t complain too much since there was a little bacon. Nonetheless, his first comment (heavy on the sarcasm) was “geez, don’t go overboard on the bacon..”. Sigh. At the end of the meal he admitted it was very tasty. Score. Try it out and let me know if you added anything to it (I’ll probably add more spinach next time and maybe some more bacon to avoid any grief from my dad!
Pasta Carbonara Florentine
What you need:
- Tablespoon olive oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (6-ounce) package bagged prewashed baby spinach
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, chopped (or more for the meat-needers of the world)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (or more- I used the whole onion)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (you may need to add more if you use the whole package of pasta)
- 1 package of uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese (I probably added almost an extra 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
What to do:
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1-2 garlic cloves, and spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly. Remove spinach from pan; place in a bowl.
- Add bacon to pan; cook 3 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan; set bacon aside. Add onion to drippings in pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking liquid. Immediately add pasta and the reserved cooking liquid to onion mixture in skillet. Add spinach and bacon; stir well to combine. Place skillet over low heat.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, cheese, pepper, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk. Add to pasta mixture, tossing well to coat. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.