I’ve definitely been on a Mexican-food kick as of late. I’ve been eyeing this recipe on my Pinterest board the past few weeks and finally gave in and made it. Fortunately, it was everything I hoped for! The original recipe had the stacks topped with cilantro and avocado but I decided to also add some Crema Mexicana and sriracha- it was the perfect addition! One thing I will say is that these are very filling.. in anticipation of this, I decided to not make any sides and boy was that a good call- none of us could finish our stack. Maybe I’ll make it only 2 stacks next time and have a small side? Suggestions?
Chicken Taco Stacks
What you’ll need:
- 1 (14.5 oz) can refried beans
- 3 Tbs. lime juice, plus more for garnish
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (I removed the seeds)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (I also added some Monterey Jack cheese)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Crema Mexicana, Sriracha, or any other additional garnishes you want!
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, lime juice, jalapeno pepper and cilantro. Stir until well mixed.
- Lightly coat a large baking with cooking spray. Arrange the tortillas in a row on the sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 3 minutes. Flip and bake 3 more minutes- they shouldn’t be crispy, but shouldn’t be as soft.
- Evenly spread the bean mixture over each tortilla. Top with chopped chicken, dice bed pepper, cheese and scallions. Carefully stack the tortillas.
- Place back into the oven for 20 – 30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the tortilla edges are golden and crispy.
- Garnish each stack with sliced avocado, cilantro leaves, Crema Mexicana, Sriracha, etc.