Perfect for a lazy weekend afternoon when you feel like reliving your childhood. I was very skeptical when I stumbled upon this supposable dupe for one of my favorite mac and cheese recipes. However, I was intrigued by the two different cheese mixtures so I tried it and let me say that it was pretty darn close! I liked that the noodles were sandwiched between the creamy cheese sauce and the shredded cheese mixture.. there’s something very satisfying about mixing it all together and watching the cheese melt into ooey-gooey goodness. Give it a try- is there anything you would adjust to make it even closer to the Noodles and Co. version?
Noodles and Co. Wisconsin Mac and Cheese
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 lb macaroni
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar/jack or Colby/jack cheese
What to do:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the macaroni according to the directions on the box. Make sure to cook it to al dente.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the butter to the pan and melt. Then add the flour. Start to whisk to make a roux (anyone else feel fancy using the term “roux”? No? Ok.. me either..;) ).
- Whisk until the butter mixture starts to boil and foam. Then cook for another minute until it starts to lightly turn brown.
- Slowly mix in the whole milk. Continue to whisk and cook until it starts to thicken.
- Then add the salt, pepper, paprika and Monterey Jack cheese. Whisk until the cheese is fully melted (it won’t be too thick- don’t worry).
- Then add the salt, pepper, paprika and Monterey Jack cheese. Whisk until the cheese is fully melted.
- Then top with 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar/jack or Colby/jack cheese.
- Serve, mix, and enjoy!