Everyone loves grilled cheese, am I right? However, sometimes they need a little extra added to it so you feel more like a grown-up (key word: sometimes). I came across this recipe and knew I had to give it a try. Although I used a different combination of cheeses, the rest of the ingredients were what made the biggest difference to the sandwich. I’ll definitely be making this more!
Garlic Rubbed Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Tomatoes
What You’ll Need:
- Fresh Italian bread (cut in 1/2 inch slices)
- Choice of cheese (I used a mix of mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and Queso Chihuahua)
- Ripe Tomatoes (Cut in 1/4 inch slices)
- Cooked bacon slices (I went the easy route and used pre-cooked; they heated nicely when grilling the sandwich)
- Crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Room temperature butter
- 1-2 large garlic cloves
What To Do:
- Warm your pan on medium heat.
- Lightly butter one side of each bread slice, place face down.
- To assemble the sandwich, evenly spread out your cheeses, followed by the red pepper flakes, bacon, and tomatoes. Top with the other bread slice, buttered side up.
- Grill in the warmed pan until golden brown, flipping once one side is done. Grill other side.
- Turn off heat, place sandwich on plate. Immediately slice the garlic in half and rub on both sides of the sandwich. Cut sandwich in half and you’re ready to eat!